[c-nsp] Server Room

Daniel Hooper dhooper at emerge.net.au
Wed May 23 02:54:11 EDT 2007

If you don't know this already its worth hiring someone who's been around the traps long enough to know what's good.

Some suggestions though:

* Raised tile flooring
* Over head cable trays - a must
* Environmental monitors/sensors - APC do a nice job of these little boxes

* Power - I've seen / been in so many places that have skimped on the power and are struggling to upgrade it, the biggest Issué I've seen so far is a whole DC going offline and everything gets turned back on at once, drawing such a load on the UPS / Filters that they just blow. (read; don't let the power go out .. ever, and get a generator)

* Big wide door ways - nothing worse then trying to lug in a new rack or 12ru chassis to find you've got to take the thing to bits to get it to fit in the door.

Just a few thoughts and all the current things that currently annoy me about places I have to work in :)

Regards,

Daniel Hooper