[c-nsp] Suggestions wanting: Implementing dual location redundancy

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Wed May 23 05:15:58 EDT 2007

Hi,

one of our customers approached us with the following requirement:

They need to set up an FTP server, which needs to be redundant for HA.
Anyway, the customer would like to have it hosted at seperate locations.
The tough part is that the client software does not have DNS capability,
so a fixed IP has to be entered.

The servers would both be hosted inside our network, so no problem
getting routes anounced via OSPF or similar. The problem is how do I let
a router (all 7200/12000 series) know that the local service is down at
one location and that it should rather activate the same subnet at another?

Would Anycast allow for service availability discovery?

Tnx, -gg