[c-nsp] 1000Base-SX on 7200 (non-vxr)

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at kristo.is
Wed May 23 14:59:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

2007/5/23, Adam Greene <maillist at webjogger.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I need to terminate a 1000Base-SX 850nm multimode fiber on a 7200 chassis
> (*not* VXR). Unfortunately all I have on hand is a 100Base-FX PA-FE-FX.

Can anyone tell me what kind of card supports 1000Base-SX? I'm assuming I'll
> need something into which I can slide a 1000Base-SX GBIC, either a
> GLC-SX-MM
> (preferred) or a WS-G5484.

Sorry, not going to happen.  What you're looking for is PA-GE, which is not
supported on non-VXR 7200s.

Cost is a factor as well. If a card costs too much, we might buy a media
> converter or put in a 3560 instead (that can push 100Mbps without breaking
> sweat, can't it?)

Yes, it can, and yes, I believe that would be a better choice.  Even if you
could manage to get your vintage 7200 to accept GigE, it wouldn't be able to
handle the traffic (the 100 Mbps you mentioned).  Even assuming you have the
latest NPE supported on non-VXR chassis, NPE-225, it would at least have its
hands full, with only basic features and nothing else going on.

Thanks for your help,

Sorry I couldn't provide you with a more helpful answer.

-Kristo