[c-nsp] DS3 Cables

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun May 27 03:44:57 EDT 2007

On Sat, 26 May 2007, Jeff Chan wrote:

> As Jay mentions, the correct patch cable type for DS3s is 734 or 735.  The
> connectors must be true 75 ohm or there will be reflections to and from the
> cable (think antennas and ghosting), probably resulting in lower signal to
> noise ratios, etc.  Never use 50 ohm connectors or cables for this application.

It would be great if someone with knowledge of this could update the
wikipedia DS3 article with more specific information regarding cabling. My
limited use of DS3 has involved using RG59 cables without problems, but
that's with very short cable distances (less than 5 meters). There is an
wikipedia article very briefly describing RG59, but no mention of 734 or
735. Spending a few minutes on google doesn't reveal to me the difference
between RG59 and 734/735.

<http://www.adc.com/Library/Literature/292.pdf> mentions RG59/734/735 as
DSX-3 cabling all of them which to me contradicts what has been said on
this list.

Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ds3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG59