[c-nsp] DS3 Cables

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Sun May 27 09:47:51 EDT 2007

Quoting Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de>:

> On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 05:30:55PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> > RG-59 isn't the right stuff,
>
> What's wrong with RG-59?  As far as I understand, the most important
> thing is "impedance 75 Ohms", which RG-59 fulfills...

Generally any 75 ohm cable will work, but may not meet all the performance
specifications for DS3s, especially at longer lengths.  Also the physical
specifications for the cables are different.

As a practical matter DS3 cable transmitters and receivers can probably deal
with lots of crud, but there are preferred ways to do things and specifications
to help define them.  The cabling is part of the specification.

Cheers,

Jeff C.