[c-nsp] C2811 / BGP & DRAM reqs

Alex Campbell alex at dtdesign.com.au
Mon May 28 20:55:32 EDT 2007

Do you want to take full tables or just defaults?

256MB is not enough for full tables.  To be comfortable and plan for the
future I would recommend 768MB or 1GB.

The 2800s do not have powerful CPUs.  Depending on features enabled,
packet size etc, pushing 16mbps with full tables on a 2811 could be a
challenge.  When a neighbor flaps the CPU will struggle to process the
BGP updates and throughput on the device will fall dramatically.

I know this is a Cisco list but in my humble opinion you would be better
off with a pair of Juniper J4350s.  They can easily push a couple of
hundred mbps, come out of the box with 4 x GigE interfaces, 1GB RAM, a
very fast CPU, and you don't need to stuff around with feature set
upgrades.  Even with heavily discounted Cisco pricing the J4350 will be
cheaper than a 2811, and you will get much more mileage out of the
Juniper.