[c-nsp] 3725 packet loss

Scott Dunn wonderslug at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:27:24 EDT 2007

Hi

We are seeing 2-4% packet loss on a 60Mbps link with 3725 when traffic
reaches about 35-40Mbps (based 30s load interval) (FYI the circuit has
been tested multiple times and is clean). I suspect that the traffic
is bursting to 60Mbps for short period and causing the loss.

The Cisco command interpreter seems to indicate that the buffers need
tuning as I'm getting lots of failures vs hits for the larger buffers.

VeryBig buffers, 4520 bytes (total 10, permanent 10, peak 13 @ 1w6d):
     10 in free list (0 min, 100 max allowed)
     84 hits, 685 misses, 11 trims, 11 created
     685 failures (0 no memory)
Large buffers, 5024 bytes (total 1, permanent 0, peak 4 @ 1w4d):
     1 in free list (0 min, 10 max allowed)
     14 hits, 671 misses, 131 trims, 132 created
     671 failures (0 no memory)
Huge buffers, 18024 bytes (total 1, permanent 0, peak 3 @ 1w4d):
     1 in free list (0 min, 4 max allowed)
     11 hits, 660 misses, 128 trims, 129 created
     660 failures (0 no memory)

I don't have any experience playing with buffer sizes and was hoping
for some insight before experimenting,

Thanks

Scott