[c-nsp] Internal vlan usage - 6500 sup32

Ian MacKinnon ian.mackinnon at lumison.net
Thu Nov 1 04:00:28 EDT 2007

Peter Rathlev wrote:
> "Ian MacKinnon" <ian.mackinnon at lumison.net> 11/01/07 7:13 AM GMT+2:
>> Just one oddity left, I cannot rename vlan 1002.
>> Any ideas?
>
> That's right, you can't delete/rename VLANs 1002-1005. They're the
> Cisco defaults for FDDI and Token Ring, and AFAIK you can't do
> anything about that.
>
> C6k can do VLAN Mapping and Translation, which might help you. Take
> a look at this:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/
> configuration/guide/vlans.html#wp1044990
>
> (http://www.tinyurl.dk/2068)
>
> Regards,
> Peter Rathlev

OK, I can cope without naming the vlan, can I then create a SVI for the
vlan, ie interface vlan 1002, ip address <blah>

would this work?

Is it just a normal vlan from the point of view of the layer 2
functionality?

I am migrating from another platform, and I have a vlan 1002 already and
I need it work on our new 6500s

Thanks