[c-nsp] 7301 load

Alex A. Pavlenko lex at sandy.ru
Thu Nov 1 08:19:25 EDT 2007

Hi!

Our company is a city ISP and we have a 7301 router to connect our metro
network to Internet.
Router runs BGP with 10 peers, 3 of them are upstreams and provide us with
full routing table. Also it performs
inter vlan routing in a "router on a stick" manner(150 VLANs) and intra-AS
routing(~600 subnets) using an OSPF as IGP.
Other features configured are DHCP-relay,authorized ARP, netflow-export,
traffic-shape(6 pipes), policy-routing(on 30 subinterfaces)
 and ACL. Only one of three routers gigabit ethernet interfaces currently in
use.
Currently we have CPU load between 75 and 95% and interface load
500-600Mb/s, 90-120 Kpps each direction.
What do you think, is CPU load normal relative to interface load? If not
then which things should be checked to
lower down CPU usage?

Thanks.

Alex.