[c-nsp] uBR924 code

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Nov 1 17:38:59 EDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:17:08PM -0500, Justin Shore wrote:
> Does anyone know where we can get the uBR924 code at?  I tried download
> from the EoL product page but the target page is missing.  I've found a
> number of releases from 12.1 through 12.3 for various uBR900 series
> devices but none say 924.  I'm not familiar enough with the product line
> to say is a 920 or 925 run the same code.
>
> We have 1 uBR924 that someone bought in the past for testing on our
> plant.  It hasn't been used in years but we thought we'd dust it off and
> see if it still works.  Perhaps we could get diagnostic details out of
> it to help troubleshoot plant issues or find some other use for it.

I went down this route myself (for no particular reason other than
geekiness of being able to see interesting docsis details which are hidden
in residential grade equipment) and was quickly beaten down into the kind
of submission that makes one happy to buy a $50 linksys cable modem.

In theory the main difference between the 924 and 925 is the hardware
accelerated 3des (where hw accelerated is still too slow to be worth
bothering, around 2Mbps), but in practice there is a difference in what
code you can run. The 924 has fixed flash (which can't be upgraded) of
4MB, and there is absolutely no modern code which will fit on it. I went
through every image CCO had available, found exactly one which in theory
supported DOCSIS 1.1, but it would immediately crash every time the cable0
interface would come up.

The whole thing was a pretty big waste of time for me. With only DOCSIS
1.1 supported, and only a 10M half duplex ethernet link, the thing has a
very limited lifespan even if it could be made to work today.

> On a related note, does Cisco still make a CM or have they bowed out to
> Moto and their 5100 series CMs?  We run Moto CMs and Arris MTAs.

The only offically supported route seems to be the DOCSIS 2.0 WIC, but its
overpriced even on ebay. :)