[c-nsp] RX No Buff Errors on 7206 w/NPE-G1

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Nov 2 10:06:22 EDT 2007

So in the case of my border router it's likely that we simply got hit
with a flood of packets (small scale attack perhaps?) and the G1 just
couldn't handle it.  This seems likely since I saw the overruns on both
the GigE int to the upstream provider and both GigE ints back to the
core of our network.

This leads me into a slightly different topic then.  My apologies to
Vincent for hijacking his thread.  I'm looking at placing a 7600 in our
facility closest to our 2 main upstreams, both of which enter our
facility on our own fiber.  This facility is a new data center and we
expect a large number of PtPs so we gave both providers the opportunity
to sit in our DC.  I don't have a stellar optical system to transport
Internet connections from either provider back to our main POP.  It
would be Ethernet over Sonet (OC12s currently) and limited to FastE only
without major upgrades around the ring, which would be inefficient and
expensive to upgrade.  I was planning on setting a 7609-S at that
location as part of our distribution layer and dual-home it back to the
primary POP, ideally over 10G.  This router would give me the ability to
touch both upstreams with a GigE interface.  I was planning on either
bringing the 2 connections down on VLANs to the core and popping them
off on access interfaces back to our existing border routers or by doing
something with VRFs and MPLS.  The other option is terminating both of
these upstream L3 connections on that new 7609.  However I'm leary about
doing that for redundancy reasons, even with dual RSPs.  We've had to
fully power cycle our 7613s on a number of occasions over the past year
for an assorted of reasons.  The other option is to buy 2 7606-S chassis
with or without dual RSPs to touch each provider.  I like this option
better but that's more $$$.

So, I guess my question should be at what point do I replace our
existing border routers (7206VXR w/ G1 and a 3845 (replaced by an
identical 7206 as soon as I can free it up)) with 7600s?  Our combined
bandwidth across all 3 providers is 80Mbps currently but we'll be
bumping this up to 150Mbps soon and we just signed on a customer wanting
a dedicated 20M.  Considering that we only had 16M 1.5 years ago, that
we're just now bringing a data center online, and that we're rolling out
ADSL2+ and FFTx I'd say we'll be at 500-750M in another 1.5 year's time,
more if we resell to our neighboring rural providers.

Am I right in thinking that touching what will soon be our only 2
providers with a single router be risky, even if it is fully redundant?

Thanks
  Justin