[c-nsp] Cat6500 with ION - CPU spiking after long uptime?

Brandon Bennett bennetb at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 20:28:33 EST 2007

Well TAC is going to best bet unless someone else here has ran across
the bug.  I am running SXH and I have some CPU HOG messages from time
to time, but SNMP and telnet work fine and my CPU util is low.

> sw#show proc cpu | excl 0.0
> CPU utilization for five seconds: 86%; one minute: 30%; five minutes: 23%
> PID       5Sec    1Min     5Min Process
> 1        85.3%   26.3%    20.3% kernel
Hmm.  Odd the kernel should not be using that much CPU.

> It seems to only affect management traffic but i'm worried if it gets
> worse it may start to make things like STP break.

Well good thing STP is ran on a different CPU :).  Remember that the
Sup720 has the RP and the SP.  The CPU utilization you see there is
for the RP.

Use the command 'remote command switch show proc cpu' to see the CPU
utilization on the SP.

HTH,

Brandon