[c-nsp] out-of-band management - modems?

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Mon Nov 5 16:27:38 EST 2007

Re Trever,

TGFurnish at herffjones.com (Furnish, Trever G) wrote:

> What is everyone doing for out-of-band management of WAN routers that
> don't have redundant data connections (or do)?  Modems?  Something else?

Don't laugh. We have a "global management network" on VPN tunnels,
independently routed (read "not by us") wherever possible. Each local
management network "island" features Console Switches (Cyclades stuff)
and an analog dial-in line for console play, should all routing
fail and the management network become unreachable.

We're not a "big network ISP", we're only a ccTLD with more or less
isolated locations around the world; thus we wanted a solution that
would integrate smoothly under normal circumstances (the tunneled
mgt network) but also be pretty independent of routing issues should
the routing fail. And analog lines are easy to get _and_ identical
everywhere in the world. Quite unlike ISDN...

HTH,
	Elmar.