[c-nsp] Removing VTP Server switch

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 6 03:21:11 EST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 03:38:21PM +1100, Kurt Bales wrote:
> I am a big fan of VTP.

This will change over time :)

[..]
> I guess my question is, can I simply change every switch to "transparent"
> mode, and all will will operate happly, or will I need to make another
> switch set to server mode? I am more than happy to live without VTP in this
> part of the network.

I haven't tried this with 2900XL switches - but with more recent switches,
this works perfectly well.  In your case, I'd strongly recommend trying
it with a non-production switch first (connect to VTP domain, let it learn
all the VLANs, change to "vtp transparent", see what happens).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de