[c-nsp] Removing VTP Server switch

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Tue Nov 6 04:23:53 EST 2007

Changing the mode will NOT delete the vlan database on 2900XL (nor any other
Cisco switches I've encountered).  For paranoia, I also change the vtp domain
and password to something unique on every switch to reduce the impact if it is
ever enabled again.

The one thing you will possibly want to do prior to doing this is to disable
vlan pruning on all links, as this *may* cause some of the issues referred to
elsewhere in this thread.  Make sure this doesn't take you over the VLAN/STP
limits on your switches before doing this.

I do agree though that VTP is horrible if you have more than a small office
network with half a dozen vlans or so.  I've made it my mission to eradicate
it wherever I find it.

Ian

--
Ian Dickinson