[c-nsp] Removing VTP Server switch

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 6 07:18:10 EST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 06:39:45AM -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:
> I was kind of wondering the same thing... a couple hundred VLAN's spread
> across several 6500's and never had an issue in 7 years.... :)

If you want fun, try this:

 - connect another switch, have it learn the VTP database, make it a
   VTP master  (VTP can have multiple masters)

 - disconnect it, to use it in a lab setup, or so

 - for the LAB setup, decide "oh, I don't need all those VLANs that are
   there from the original setup"

 - some time later, connect it back to the "real" setup, and watch all
   VLANs on *all* switches go...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de