[c-nsp] out-of-band management - modems?

jp jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Tue Nov 6 10:44:45 EST 2007

We use the Livingston PM2. One could hook a modem to it for either
incoming or outgoing, but we telnet to it and attach to the serial ports
for various devices.

For your couriers, make sure you use the autoanswer dip switch setting
rather than solely the autoanswer init string.

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 01:21:18PM -0500, Furnish, Trever G wrote:
> This is probably a repeatedly asked question, even if not a frequently
> asked question.
>
> What is everyone doing for out-of-band management of WAN routers that
> don't have redundant data connections (or do)?  Modems?  Something else?
> I would appreciate suggestions for specific modems and/or methods.
>
> We currently use Courier v.Everything modems and pots lines connected to
> the console ports of the routers, but reliability of the OOB connection
> is not very good, and it's a struggle to keep the remote site phone
> lines connected, since dial-up POTS lines seem to be something phone
> system admins these days just can't be convinced to keep working and the
> modems themselves frequently don't negotiate correctly.
>
> I am about to order more modems and phone lines, so if your experiences
> would be most appreciated.
>
> --
> Trever Furnish, tgfurnish at herffjones.com
>
> PS: I've also set aside some time to script up some method to
> periodically verify that each site's modem is still connected and
> working.  Any suggestions there on what tool to use?  At the moment
> it'll probably be tip or kermit or minicom on Linux.

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/