[c-nsp] Interesting Problem - MPBGP Filtering

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Mon Nov 12 09:11:38 EST 2007

Not sure if this is helpful, but have you seen this?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6604/products_white_paper0900aecd80581f3d.shtml

For your PE routers running SXF I think (if I'm reading correctly) that
you dont implement an SAFI for MDT, you simply use an extcommunity

12.2SR implements this an seperate SAFI

It could be this which is the cause somehow, it mentions the following
warning:

"
There are two basic issues with this approach, use of RD Type 2 is not
standard, and the BGP attribute is non-transitive, and cannot work for
Inter-AS MVPN. In "BGP/MPLS IP VPNs" (RFC4364), RD Type 2 is designated
for the representation of 4 byte AS numbers (RFC4893). This overlap in
usage can cause collisions between the RD Type 2 MVPN MDT advertisement
and a unicast VPNv4 advertisement using RD Type 2 for encoding the 4
byte AS number.
"

Can't think of much else.

Dave.