[c-nsp] BGPoPPPoEoA ?!

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Thu Nov 15 11:40:54 EST 2007

Lots of o's in that subject line ...

I'm trying to set up a BGP session over a PPPoEoA DSL line. This is in the context of setting up redundant DSL lines to a single provider router. I control both ends (PE and CE). PE is 7200 NPE 200, IOS 12.3(15b). CE is 1841, IOS 12.4(17).

I can't establish the BGP session. Both sides are in active state, but won't go further.

The PE ATM interface is configured as IP unnumbered pointing to Loopback 0. The CE BGP neighbor thus points to the PE Loopback IP address. The PE BGP neighbor points to the IP address assigned to the CE Dialer (a /32 from the /23 block on the PE Loopback).

I saw that the CE was reporting that the external BGP neighbor is not directly connected, so I issued "neighbor A.B.C.D disable-connected-check" to no avail.

I tried specifying the update-source interface on both ends (loopback 0 on PE, Dialer1 on CE) again to no avail.

I'm wondering if I have to do something at the neighbor A.B.C.D transport level, like disabling path-mtu-discovery (this is a wild shot in the dark).

Has anyone else successfully established BGP over PPPoEoA before?

If this doesn't work, I'll set up redundancy by tracking objects ... but that will involve an upgrade of the PE IOS.

Thanks,
Adam