[c-nsp] Symmetric load-splitting with CEF

Tomas Daniska tomas at soitron.com
Mon Nov 19 09:05:32 EST 2007

Hi all,

I am aware that symmetric load splitting to transparent stateful devices
(such as IPS, SCE etc...) is possible with EtherChanneling (with some
careful balancing algorithm design), and is available on c6k5 for some
time.

But - c6k5 do not support cross-chassis EtherChannels with current
supervisors; so if topological redundancy is required, L2-based LB is
not the way to go. I've noticed someone somewhere saying this is also
possible with CEF at L3, but I can find no reference for such solutions.

Can anyone advise me please...

thanks much

--

Tomas Daniska
systems engineer

Soitron, a.s.
Plynarenska 5, 829 75 Bratislava, Slovakia
tel: +421 2 58224111, fax: +421 2 58224199

A transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect the fuse by
blowing first.