[c-nsp] Fail-Over solution

Sebastian Ganschow s.ganschow at buelow-masiak.de
Mon Nov 19 15:37:22 EST 2007

Hi,

we've got several customers who have 2 connections to our backbone. Mostly
a connection with > 10 mbit/s and a smaller backup connection with up to 2
mbit/s. Currently the second router will be connected with the LAN in case
the primary connection fails.

We would like to implement a solution where the second connection will be
used automatically if the primary one fails.

My first thought was to implement BGP on the customer side with a private
ASN and install a peering with our router. But the hardware doesn't support
BGP.

We've got two scenarios:

1. The customer is connected with a 10 MBit/s LAN Extension and a 2 Mbit/s
D2MS.
The 2 Mbit/s is connected with a Cisco 2600 Series router on the customer
side. But the LAN Extension is directly connected to a switch. Our Backbone
Router is the default router for the customer network. Because of the costs
we don't want to install another router on the customer side. So BGP isn't
working.

2. The customer is connected with a E3 or more and a 2 MBit/s SDSL. For the
E3 we've got a Cisco 2800 Series Router. But the SDSL Connection is handled
by a cisco 878 wich doesn't support BGP.

Any ideas?

Regards
Sebastian