[c-nsp] Basic QoS/Rate limiting

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Nov 19 17:55:53 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 06:44 -0600, Dave Weis wrote:
> Is there an easy way on a 2800 to enforce per client speed limits for
> ethernet connected clients? Ideally I would like to control them to X
> kbps down and Y kbps up. The switches the clients are connected to don't
> have any rate limiting capability. If this isn't possible is there a
> simple way to enforce some "fairness" per client?

You can enable "fair-queue" on the interface, either directly or via an
existing policy map. This treats each flow in a "fair" equal way, but
doesn't treat each host equally.

Otherwise I think you can use "traffic-shape group" w/ per host
access-lists, though it would look a little funny in your interface
configuration.

There's probably some nice 2-line configuration you can use, but only
that really smart people know it. :-)

Regards,
Peter Rathlev