[c-nsp] cisco-nsp Digest, Vol 60, Issue 66

Jason Gintert jason at fidelityaccess.com
Tue Nov 20 16:02:12 EST 2007

Neal,

I've actually had to pull something like this off before.  We used a passive
device called a ZPHA that uses mirrors and mechanically fails from one fiber
segment to another.  It uses a USB port plugged into the device to be
monitored that detects power and will failover when power is not on the USB
port any longer.  I believe the power from the USB actually holds it to one
segment and it falls to the other when the power is not there.

https://usm.channelonline.com/ntw/firefly/Products/Overview/?id=M002409330

What we did to make this more controlled was to plug the ZPHA into a powered
USB hub which was in turn plugged into an APC remotely switchable PDU.  We
killed the port to the USB hub when we wanted it to failover.  This was for
performing remote testing on an IPS and was the easiest way we could find to
route around it when there was problems and it was unmanageble.

HTH!

Jason