[c-nsp] Layer 2 transparent tunnelling options with POS OC3 with APS.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Nov 26 10:46:20 EST 2007

Ok, I've come to a minor logjam in trying to get a layer 2 transparent tunnel
working from one site to another.  Layer 2 transparency is required for
VMware VMotion between two ESX hosts, one on one end and one on the other.

The folks on this list being the experts in network service provisioning, I
thought I'd at least ask to see if anyone here has done this with a similar
setup.

There are four routers involved, two on each end:

1.) 7507 with PA-POS-OC3-SMI, IOS 12.0S, acting as APS Working at location A;
2.) 12012 with Q OC3/STM1 SM IR POS, IOS 12.0S, acting as APS Protect at
location A;
3.) 7401ASR with PA-POS-OC3-SMI, IOS 12.4 mainline, APS Working at location B;
4.) 7401ASR with PA-POS-OC3-SMI, IOS 12.4 mainline, APS Protect at location B.

The options for what I want to do are that I know about, unless I'm missing
something:
1.) L2TPv3 (supported on 12.4 on the 7401ASR); requires tunnel server card on
12012 (I do not have a tunnel server card, but would entertain the acceptance
of one being donated to us);
2.) AToM (Ethernet over MPLS); does 12.4 on 7401ASR support this (I don't
think it does).

VMotion requires layer 2 adjacency between the ESX hosts (they perform IP and
MAC migration from one host to another for the redundancy).

I do have a small number of 7500-series routers available, as well as catalyst
5500-series switches with either RSM or RSFC cards available.  If a fifth
router is added, has anyone done L2TPv3 where one endpoint is comprised of an
APS router pair?  (A third router at location B would be difficult)

Many thanks in advance for any pointers that can be provided.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer