[c-nsp] MTBF for Cisco products

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Nov 28 02:10:56 EST 2007

You can get high quality Chassis fans.  DEC used chassis fans in the
Vax that had MTBF of hundreds of thousands of hours.  The difference
is not in the bearings, sleeve or ball, as most people who don't know
any better think.  The difference is in the quality of the dust seals.
Regular fans have very poor dust seals and as a result the bearings
get choked up and they fail quickly.  Expensive fans have good dust
seals and can be literally coated with dust to where the entire fan
is brown and still work perfectly.

Ted