[c-nsp] Cisco BGP Capability type code 131

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Nov 28 19:47:58 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 09:50 +1030, Tom Storey wrote:
> google "bgp capability 131"
>
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4760.txt

<snip>

I may have misunderstood something here, but as far as I can see,
RFC4760 chapter 9 describes the SAFI namespace as per

http://www.iana.org/assignments/safi-namespace.

It does not descibe BGP capabilities, as defined in

http://www.iana.org/assignments/capability-codes.

RFC 4760 (and 2858 which it obsoletes) descibes sending BGP capability 1
("Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP-4") with a capability parameter that
includes a SAFI, which could be 131 as per RFC 4760. (The RFC does not
describe what SAFI 131 is though, just that it's part of a group which
was "private use" and is now reserved/unallocated.)

If the OPs question really is: "What is BGP capability 131?" then the
answer is "Vendor specific" as per IANA definitions.

Maybe OP can add some information to establish a context?

Regards,
Peter Rathlev