[c-nsp] ASA 5505 or Netscreen 5GT - maturity?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 30 03:37:42 EST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 03:14:32AM -0500, lee.e.rian at census.gov wrote:
> > I completely fail to understand the mindset behind this question.
>
> Maybe the vendor's tech support sux so much they want to try a different
> vendor?
>
> /me, stuck at desk, waiting for TAC to call

Indeed, Juniper's tech support sucks, but we've only rarely actually
*needed* their tech support - most of the time, the boxes just do what
we needed them to do.

(We have about 50 small and a couple of larger netscreen firewalls in
vastly different customer setups, so we've seen almost everything that
customer creativeness can come up with)

I'm not sure whether Juniper's TAC is *worse* than "other major vendors"
- right now, we're waiting for Citrix TAC on a netscaler crash bug, and
I have a (admittedly low-prio) case with Cisco TAC that is not moving
since a year or so...

Most TACs tend to give you the "stupid customer runaround" first (have
you tried the most recent firmware?  have you reloaded the box?) - and
how well the TAC folks can do their job *after* these initiation rites
depends very much on the backing from the engineering folks.  This seems
to be a major problem with Cisco these days - if the engineer declares
"this is not a bug", then it is not a bug.  Period.  No way to escalate.
(Daniel Roesen ran into this recently).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de