[c-nsp] L2TPv3 across an ADSL network: MTU

Philippe Strauss philou at philou.ch
Fri Nov 30 08:58:43 EST 2007

Hello,

We need to offer a cheap "bridge" or "transparent" to ethernet layer
frame for 2 sites of a customer.

First I thought "ok, let's try L2TPv3 across SDSL*", but a closer look and
the MTU problem came to my mind: the ADSL* network is limited to 1500 bytes MTU.

Any idea of alternatives beside a plain good old leased circuit
delivered on ethernet interfaces?

*Note: here (switzerland), swisscom offer what they call SDSL service
on the same LAC/LNS setup than ADSL. you get symmetrical 1.8Mbit/s
circuit on SHDSL WIC, tunneled thru their network, ending up in your
LNS.

regards.

--
Philippe Strauss