[c-nsp] ASA 5505 or Netscreen 5GT - maturity?

jason.plank at comcast.net jason.plank at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 11:57:46 EST 2007

Jacob,

ASDM runs on single devices and is just a GUI for the individual ASA's. CSM is a comparable product to NSM. CSM is better than what cisco has had in the past and i'm not sure how it compares to NSM. I will say it seemed easier to integrate than NSM, and I have never been a huge fan of NSM.

Check this links:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6498/index.html

Product Highlights

    * Supports provisioning for Cisco router platforms running a Cisco IOS security software image, Cisco ASA 5500 Series adaptive security appliances, Cisco PIX security appliances, Cisco IPS 4200 Series sensors, and Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series security services modules
    * Respond faster to threats: define and assign new security policies to thousands of devices in a few simple steps
    * Rich graphical user interface provides superior ease-of-use
    * Multiple views that provide flexible methods to manage devices and policies, including the ability to manage the security network visually on a topology map
    * Extensive animated help for the new user to reduce the learning time
    * Centrally specify which policies are shared and automatically inherited by new devices to ensure corporate policies are implemented consistently, while providing optional flexibility to customize policies at the local device level
    * Ability to create a single firewall rule table for all Cisco platforms with intelligent analysis of firewall policies to determine anomalies in the rule base
    * Easily configure site-to-site, hub-spoke full mesh or extranet VPN connections with a few mouse clicks
    * Integration with Cisco ACS for granular role based access control to devices and management functions
    * Integration with Cisco Security Monitoring, Analysis, and Response System (Cisco Security MARS) to correlate events with the associated firewall rules to help with quicker decision making and increased network up time
    * Ability to assign specific tasks to each administrator during the deployment of a policy, with formal change control and tracking; allows the security and network operations staff to work together as a single team with effective coordination

--
Regards,

Jason Plank
CCIE #16560