[c-nsp] Redundant default route, without round-robin routing

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at autempspourmoi.be
Mon Oct 1 03:49:44 EDT 2007

Hi all,

thanks for the many interesting replies.

> In that case, I'd be inclined to iBGP-mesh all the boxes, inject just a
> default into BGP from the two border routers, and let all the other
> routers pick their 'best' route of the two.  All other things being equal,
> this should be the border router that can be reached with the lowest IGP
> cost, or if they're all on a shared medium (I think this was the case from
> your original post), first route received.  You might end up with
> everybody going out of the same border router, but you've indicated this
> is not a problem.  All the routers will have the non-best route in their
> BGP table, but not the routing table, so they can switch over if the best
> route is withdrawn, but won't ever split traffic between the two.

This is unfortunately not an option, as not all boxes support BGP. I'll go
for Jon's idea of injecting the two default routes in OSPF with a different
metric (and without the "always", so that if one eBGP session is down, the
corresponding router stops advertising that default route).

Thanks again,

Vincent