[c-nsp] Cisco RPS for 3550 switch

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Oct 1 15:07:55 EDT 2007

Seth Mattinen wrote:

> Hardware. There is no way to get the device (in my case, some 2811's on
> a single RPS-300) to go back to internal power without reloading once
> it's switched over to the RPS. Switching back causes the device to lose
> power. You should not expect any kind of real redundancy, but expect a
> full outage and reload if you ever want to go back to internal AC from
> the RPS.
>
> Personally, I'd just skip the one to one "redundancy" and just use them
> for nothing more than protecting the switch from internal PSU failure,
> at which point you'll have to power it down anyway to replace the PSU.
> This doesn't affect any other devices plugged into the RPS, only the one
> actually drawing power from it.
>
> ~Seth

The RPS-300 is dirt cheap these days (~$50 or less), so 1-1 isn't a big deal for
this project.

I did see somewhere on the archives that someone said pulling the AC power from
the RPS (vs using the active/standby buttons) will allow the switch to fail back
to its internal P/S without a reboot.  I'll try this when I get our first
RPS-300 in and see how it goes.

--Mike