[c-nsp] MST to Rapid PVST+ interaction.

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Mon Oct 1 16:28:31 EDT 2007

Hello Kevin:

Check out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/nati
ve/configuration/guide/spantree.html#wp1050781

Specifically, this:

Restarting Protocol Migration
A switch running both MSTP and RSTP supports a built-in protocol
migration process that enables the switch to interoperate with legacy
802.1D switches. If this switch receives a legacy 802.1D configuration
BPDU (a BPDU with the protocol version set to 0), it sends only 802.1D
BPDUs on that port. An MSTP switch can also detect that a port is at the
boundary of a region when it receives a legacy BPDU, or an MST BPDU
(version 3) associated with a different region, or an RST BPDU (version
2).

However, the switch does not automatically revert to the MSTP mode if it
no longer receives 802.1D BPDUs because it cannot determine whether the
legacy switch has been removed from the link unless the legacy switch is
the designated switch. A switch also might continue to assign a boundary
role to a port when the switch to which it is connected has joined the
region.

To restart the protocol migration process (force the renegotiation with
neighboring switches) on the entire switch, you can use the clear
spanning-tree detected-protocols privileged EXEC command. To restart the
protocol migration process on a specific interface, enter the clear
spanning-tree detected-protocols interface interface-id privileged EXEC
command.

Might that be the issue?

Regards,

Mike