[c-nsp] Cisco RPS for 3550 switch

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Mon Oct 1 16:51:37 EDT 2007

At 03:21 PM 10/1/2007, you wrote:
>The RPS-600 was so much better than what's being passed off as a
>"redundant" power supply these days... I never bothered using the AC
>input on the device when it was hooked up to a RPS-600 since it had dual
>AC and you could use the dual-head RPS cable to give it redundant DC
>feeds. Truly a redundant power solution for the rest of us. (Totally
>ignoring the 2948G-L3, of course.)

I agree. The RPS-600 could also power many devices at once. We used
to have 3640s, 2924s, and 3620s hooked up at the same time. The
RPS-300 will only protect one device from a failed power supply
despite its multiple outputs. Only one can be active at a time. It is
useless in a redundant A/B power feed scenario unless you buy one
RPS-300 per device you need to protect. We have also seen the problem
that it reboots the switch on failback regardless of whether the RPS
power is pulled or the button is used. This was one big reason we
switched to Dell GigE switches wherever we needed a small switch with
redundant power. The irony is that Dell's four active output RPS-600
has the same model number as the old Cisco device which worked so
well. Cisco should make at least one 1U switch with real dual power
built into the chassis or bring back a real RPS.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin