[c-nsp] Cisco RPS for 3550 switch

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Oct 1 17:43:51 EDT 2007

Robert Boyle wrote:

> I agree. The RPS-600 could also power many devices at once. We used
> to have 3640s, 2924s, and 3620s hooked up at the same time. The
> RPS-300 will only protect one device from a failed power supply
> despite its multiple outputs. Only one can be active at a time. It is
> useless in a redundant A/B power feed scenario unless you buy one
> RPS-300 per device you need to protect. We have also seen the problem
> that it reboots the switch on failback regardless of whether the RPS
> power is pulled or the button is used. This was one big reason we
> switched to Dell GigE switches wherever we needed a small switch with
> redundant power. The irony is that Dell's four active output RPS-600
> has the same model number as the old Cisco device which worked so
> well. Cisco should make at least one 1U switch with real dual power
> built into the chassis or bring back a real RPS.
>
> -Robert

Understood, and we plan on deploying 1 RPS-300 for each 3550 switch, considering
the RPS-300 can be had for ~$50 new in box these days.  I agree that it isn't
optimal, but we have the extra space to house the units and it does seem better
than not having any redundancy at all.  I was just concerned that the "don't
power from same AC source" warning had something to do with some electrical
characteristics issue that might bite us.

--Mike