[c-nsp] Cisco RPS for 3550 switch

Ian MacKinnon ian.mackinnon at lumison.net
Tue Oct 2 03:51:49 EDT 2007

Robert Boyle wrote:
>>> Ah, but they *do* make such a switch. It's called the ME3400. Available
>>> in both AC and DC versions. We use the DC version, seems to work fine.
>>> Somewhat higher price tag than your "standard" 3560 switches though.
>> Well, if your only requirements are 1U and redundant power, the
>> Catalyst 4948 comes as a 1U form factor with redundant hot-swap power
>> supplies (and a hot-swap fan tray even). As I understand it, the whole
>> thing is essentially a 1U version of the Catalyst 4500 series chassis,
>> with a Supervisor IV and a 48-port GigE linecard welded into it.
>> Downside is, of course, the price.
>
> Let me make my statement again with a clarification. A $10k 4948
> switch doesn't fit the bill. :)
>
> Cisco should make at least one 1U 24 port GigE switch with real dual
> power built into the chassis for under $1000 street price or bring
> back a real RPS. I don't need L3 features for most applications.
> That's where our 6500s come in. We just need a switch for customer
> server setups in our racks. The Dell 5324s with RPS600s are working
> great for us, but it is crazy that Cisco just isn't a player in this
> space anymore.
>
> -Robert

Agreed, what is so difficult about 1U plus dual power and 48 ports?

For a data centre where you might have dozens of these, it is essential.

We use Allied Telesyn switches, as their 8948 is a 1U box with dual
power for a sensible price.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison, nplusone or lightershade ltd.
presence of viruses.  Lumison, nplusone and lightershade ltd accepts no

Virus scanned by Lumison.