[c-nsp] Optimizing PAGP timers

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Oct 4 01:22:13 EDT 2007

A simple project got more complicated than anticipated.  I'm using two
different links (one EFM, the other wireless) to provide redundant service
to a customer using PAGP, both sides are Cisco 2950T-24 switches.  When
testing my failover times at the customer site using Window's pings I see
failure times fluctuate between 3 to 10 seconds.  I'm pinging the customer's
router in at a remote location.  Is there any way I can get it closer to 1
second?
           ______               ________
          |  P   |-----EFM---- |Customer|
router----|      |             |        |---Workstation
          |switch|--wireless-- | switch |
          -------              ----------

Regards,

Frank

Provider:
---------
interface Port-channel1
 switchport trunk native vlan 12
 switchport trunk pruning vlan 12
 switchport mode trunk
end
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
 switchport trunk native vlan 12
 switchport trunk pruning vlan 12
 switchport mode trunk
 speed 10
 duplex full
 pagp port-priority 129
 channel-group 1 mode auto
 channel-protocol pagp
!
interface FastEthernet0/8
 switchport trunk native vlan 12
 switchport trunk pruning vlan 12
 switchport mode trunk
 speed 10
 duplex full
 channel-group 1 mode auto
 channel-protocol pagp
!

Channel group 1
                                Hello    Partner  PAgP     Learning  Group
Port      Flags State   Timers  Interval Count   Priority   Method  Ifindex
Fa0/7     A     U2/S4           1s       0        129        Any      7
Fa0/8     A     U2/S4           1s       0        128        Any      8

Customer
---------
interface Port-channel1
 switchport trunk pruning vlan 12