[c-nsp] Interface output

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Oct 4 15:39:43 EDT 2007

Cisco IOS software keeps track of per-interface counters for unknown protocol drops. However,
these per-interface counters, that record packets with unknown (or unconfigured) protocol
received, are not displayed in the <cmdBold>show interfaces<nocmdBold> command.
This is a request to display  those counters to aid in troubleshooting.
Alternatively, the number of unknown protocol drops can be retrieved through SNMP under the
MIB variable "ifInUnknownProtos", and the commands <cmdBold>show interfaces
switching<nocmdBold> and <cmdBold>show interfaces stats<nocmdBold> display per-protocol
counters including an "Other" category, which might be used as well. However, using this second
method through the CLI gives more packets than actually "dropped due to unknown protocol".
It can serve as an indication, but the only workaround is to use SNMP and poll for
"ifInUnknownProtos".

Interesting in your output you got 300 broadcast and 300 unknown protocol
drops. Maybe get a sniffer and correlate.