[c-nsp] Verify static route next hop

Kevin Barrass K.J.Barrass at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 01:49:35 EDT 2007

Hi

Iam looking into a problem where we have no option other than to use
static routes for political reasons ;0)
Unfortunatly our core network between layer 3 devices is a switched
ethernet backbone.

The problem we have is that if a next hop of a static route goes down
the static route stays valid as the outgoing interface to the next hop
is up.

I was told that using the command "ip route static adjust-time" there is
some internal feature in IOS that checks the availability of the next
hop IP address but in testing this does not work. Can anyone advise if I
have miss read the below document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_
guide09186a00802801fe.html

Kind Regards in advance