[c-nsp] 3845 BGP/ACL/Smallish Packet Performance

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at giagnocavo.net
Fri Oct 5 13:48:32 EDT 2007

Hello!

I'm looking at a 3845 to handle the following:

2 ISPs, gig E from each
        Add a card to avoid using subinterfaces
1 gig E back to 3560
BGP full tables
Some simple ACLs
No NAT
150Kpps in and out (300Kpps total)
        ~180 byte packet size average (UDP, yes, VoIP)
        Hence ~216Mbps in and out (~432Mbps total)
        Just looking at IP overhead, not Ethernet overhead

I've read the routerperformance.pdf and the 3845 says 500Kpps. Of course, that's no features, etc. I've read the Meircom "performance verified" report on the 3845, but the only near relevant  information was that it could do 1.1gbps with 1460 byte packets (~95Kpps) with no features. Not sure what that really indicates as far as doing smaller packets.

Do my requirements look like they'd fit in a 3845?

If not, I'm assuming the next step would be a 7201? Is there a competitive product that'd save us from moving to the 7200 series (don't want to, just wary of the higher price)?

Thanks,
Michael