[c-nsp] Application availability between datacentres

Ian MacKinnon cscolists at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:45:30 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fail over between data centres ?

We have 2 data centres with a layer 3 connection between them

I need to have a customer in both DCs and announce an ip address from the
live DC.

This needs to move from the primary to the secondary when either the primary
dc dies, or the app in the primary dc dies

The backends at both DCs need to be available during normal operation
eg customer has a /24, split it between both sites, and only  a single /32
needs to flip between.

I thought something using route maps and ip slas

Any other suggestions?

Ta