[c-nsp] 65xx or 76xx for 'Distribution Layer'?

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:11:22 EDT 2007

Until recently the 65xx and 76xx were the same car, just a different
paint job. Now the BUs are "differentiating" the boxes.

65xx will be running the 12.2SX train. This is aimed more at the
enterprise/DC space. If you want modular IOS, and MPLS features
targeted more towards the Enterprise, this looks like the way to go.

76xx will be running the 12.2SR train. This looks to be aimed at the
SP space. Broadband aggregation support, all the fancy VPLS/H-VPLS
MPLS stuff.

Our last core upgrade got us OSPF as an IGP, with some limited areas.
I regret the mutiple area stuff. In future we will go OSPF with a
single area 0 for loopbacks/router-router networks, and BGP for
"customer" routes (read access switches.) BGP is additional
complexity, but we need it for globally reachable prefixes anyway. It
works for the Internet...

Tim:>