[c-nsp] BGP convergence in VRF vs. global routing table on 7600 router

Christian Bering CB at nianet.dk
Fri Oct 19 07:35:35 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Putting a full Internet routing table inside a VRF instead of in the
global routing table, we see BGP convergence times about a factor 10
higher.

As far as we can tell, it's mostly the BGP process eating CPU time, so
it doesn't seem to be a matter of label allocation or FIB/TCAM
programming.

What makes the BGP process behave differently in a VRF than it does in
global routing table?

Is it because the code hasn't been optimised for this? Or a hardware
issue?

Any knobs to adjust?

Any improvements to this behaviour in SRB2 over SXE, SXF or SRA?

--
Regards
 Christian Bering