[c-nsp] Where do you put the optical attenuators?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Oct 26 09:50:19 EDT 2007

I don't believe there is a technical reason to have it on one end or the
other, just so long as you have one on each path.  For organizational
purposes I would strongly recommend keeping them in the same location
though whether it's on the switch-end of the fiber jumpers attached to
SW1 or in the fiber panel that SW2's fiber jumpers connect in to.
Remember you're not trying to protect the fiber from an aggressive
laser; you're protecting the optics at the other end.

Justin