[c-nsp] Rate limiting questions

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Sat Oct 27 11:02:19 EDT 2007

One ugly way to do it would be to create an eem applet on both routers which would do the following:

1) watch for syslog messages "STANDBY ....Active->xxx" and then "decrease" the metric of these
redistributed connected routes through configuring the local router
2) watch for syslog messages "STANDBY ....xxx->Active" and then "increase" the metric of these
redistributed connected routes through configuring the local router

I guess if eem can watch the hsrp state, it would be even easier.

Of course if you have a lot of hsrp groups, that is going to be a long config, but it might do the job.

One nice way (if your network design allows it) is to track (through hsrp) the upstream
interface/connection of the hsrp primary router and if it loses connectivity (you can use ip sla/rtr
to check non-direct connectivity), then switch over to the standby hsrp router, which should always
announce the same networks as the primary router, but using a smaller metric.

I personally use such a design and it works very well, especially after tuning the ospf timers.

--
Tassos