[c-nsp] Useful HSRP feature additions WAS: Rate limiting questions

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Oct 28 15:26:13 EDT 2007

> The "simple low overhead" fix would be to have the HSRP master send a
> *single* extra packet every X seconds.  Just one gratuitous ARP every
> 200 seconds would solve the whole issue.

See my other email; in our network (6500/sup720) the HSRP master *DOES*
send frequent packets with the vmac as a source - the HSRP hellos.

I still think "the hsrp arp/mac aging problem" refers to the *return*
path traffic:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml#t8

See also:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080773f4b.html#wp1054004

The docs (admittedly 12.4T) state:

"""The active router sources hello packets from its configured IP
address and the HSRP virtual MAC address while..."""

...which implies to me Cisco are well aware the vmac needs to be
refreshed, and the issue you're seeing ought not to exist?

Are you blocking port 1985 or 224.0.0.2 or something similar?