[c-nsp] c3560 L3 throughput with BGP

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Mon Oct 29 12:29:27 EDT 2007

If you already have a 720xVXR chassis, and you must being your currently
running with an NPE-300, then why not just replace the NPE with a faster one,
and keep the rest of your gear intact.

I am not quite at 500mbps on a constant basis, but do run in the 300-350mbps
range.  As we have several GigE's to peers/transit, I decided to ditch the old
7507 router for a 7206VXR/NPE-G2 over here.  So far it's worked out well, and
even with a couple ACL's the CPU is still quite low.

So my guess is, just slipping out the NPE-300, and replacing it with an
NPE-G2, or G1 would be a very cost effective option for you, and not require
any massive changes.  With up to 2G RAM in the G2, it should handle any BGP
routing you need done, or I hope so...

---
Howard Leadmon