[c-nsp] Understanding TCAM/route limitations in the GSR..

Doug Clements dclements at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:13:18 EDT 2007

We actually had to upgrade the DRAM in our Engine 2 cards recently just
because of this. We take about 5 full BGP feeds plus the normal internal
stuff, and the cards just couldn't hold the TCAM. We went from 128Mb to
256Mb, and now we're sitting pretty:

ca-la2-core-c12016#show ip cef res
Hardware resource allocation status summary
Green (Normal), Yellow (Caution) Red (Alarm)
Slot HW Resource Name        Util     Alert
0    E2_Rx_PLU                23        G
0    E2_Rx_TLU                24        G
10   E2_Rx_PLU                23        G
10   E2_Rx_TLU                24        G

Our GRP-Bs with 512Mb of ram on the same box run with about 100Mb free.

I would consider this setup would be the mininum "useful" setup that doesn't
require fancy filter games to keep TCAM/table size down.

We also have no numbers for anything more fancy than Engine 2.

--Doug