[c-nsp] Replacing proper planning with dirty hacks (VLAN extension over GRE & L2TP)

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:45:54 EDT 2007

Beware that all tunneling methods have overheads that will make
packets that are of valid size on the client-side (IP MTU 1500,
Ethernet MTU 1518 with no .1q, 1522 with .1q)  generate packets that
when tunneled will overflow the mesh radios MTUs, which is usually
Ethernet 1522 but maybe 1518 considering their lack of VLAN transport
support. Before going into decision phase on how to fix this mess,
it's good to do a field test on what MTU size you can pass from one
point of the a network to a neighbor hop and to a far end hop. Your
problems may be bigger than you think.

Rubens