[c-nsp] BGP hardware requirements

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Sun Sep 2 07:36:20 EDT 2007

Hmm I have to express some concern over the summary of responses.

The responders dont know much about your implementation, when asked
'will this router run BGP' the answer was yes but that doesnt mean
that the router will do its job correctly.

What isnt know is what you are trying to acheive - are you running
BGP for internet access or a private network, do you intend to load
full BGP tables or just take defaults. If you only have 2x2Mb
circuits what is it doing to need BGP..

I would suggest that a 2821 is a small router and is good for low
bandwidth edge applications. If you are needing to multihome then I
would strongly suggest you take default routes and do not try to load
full or partial BGP tables, the reduction in functionality is minor
compared to the increased stability.

Steve