[c-nsp] Router Suggestion for console access?

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Wed Sep 5 09:58:49 EDT 2007

> There shouldn't be any customer traffic going anywhere
> near it; in fact, something upstream should be dropping
> packets not from your management network before they
> get close.

I invoked PSIRT as a generic "bug you really want to
fix" example. That console server is one the most
critical devices on the network; there's no redundant
consoles, so its your only way in and if you need it,
you're likely already in bad shape.

> Really?  I'd have thought it's an ideal application for
> an otherwise-"unsupportable" box.

Nope, that'd be a network-wide RTR/SAA/IP SLA army :)

My concern was more towards recommendations for new
purchases / deployments of a product that went end of sale
over 3 years ago. Redeployments of "that growing pile in
the corner" are a different beast.